(A copy/paste from instagram - but I felt it was written there exactly how I would write it here.)
I was going to retake this photo after Chewy moved his head, but I decided this is the perfect depiction of the caption I was going to write today. (It's a long one)
I gave up my studio space.
Not this space, this is my home - but I gave up my room in the beautiful decommissioned horse barn.
- I had to be honest with myself about my time, priorities and work flow and as much as I loved it, it wasn't working out.
- I work at odd times, sometimes in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes late at night and I just wasn't great at budgeting my time around the new space.
- I kept misplacing my supplies, I didn't want to keep two collections of the same paints, papers and canvases, so I'd forget and leave something behind. Rather than drive 15 mins to retrieve it, I'd work on something else, but that day's project would be pushed back by a day. Not earth-shattering, but I hate feeling unorganized.
- The pup. I've always had dog-shaped hole in my heart, now that it's filled - I love being able to work while he's napping, take breaks in the form of walks (instead of scrolling through the internet) and just be around him. With my husband also working from home, being able to paint, play with the dog, paint, talk with my husband, paint again is such a gift. I guess I grew a bit lonely working in the other space.
- Our house. We're in the midst of fixing things up, renovating, decorating, making it ours and I've signed myself up for a number of projects. Squeezing these in as I wait for paintings to dry has made for some decent progress.
So that's it, I'll be posting all my photos from here for the foreseeable future, with one small note; one of the renovations we're starting is a big space in our basement --- specifically for an additional studio space. I'm building walls, leveling the floor, replacing windows... It's a big project, but when it's done I'll have a larger, brighter room to paint in. Can't wait to share the progress.
If you've made it all the way to the end, I commend you 🤣 Thanks for being a part of this 💙